If you have been stung by a bee, you know how painful this is. In some cases, however, you may also have an allergy. Some allergies are not as severe as others, so you may not be sure that you have one. To help you below are some signs of a bee sting allergic reaction, as well as tips on treating the sting.
Signs of Bee Sting Allergic Reaction
A normal reaction of a bee sting is some pain, redness around the sting, and swelling. If you are having an allergic reaction, the swelling will extend around the sting site. For example, if you are stung on your finger, your entire arm may start swelling. This may seem serious but, in most cases, this type of reaction will get better in a few days.
More serious reactions include hives, anxiety, restlessness, wheezing, dizziness, and a rapid pulse. If the bee sting is around your face, you may have problems breathing and swallowing. If you are having these symptoms you need to call 911 immediately to get treated.
Treatment of Bee Sting Allergy
If you do not have a serious reaction, remove all jewelry you are wearing on your fingers. This is because your fingers may start to swell. You also need to quickly get the stinger out, as you don't the venom from the stinger will build up. You can use something like a credit card to scrape across your skin to help get the stinger out. If you have long fingernails, you can also scrape your nail across this area. Never pull the stinger out as this will cause a lot of venom to come out of the stinger and get into your skin.
Once the stinger is out, take an antihistamine pill. You can purchase this type of mediation over the counter. Monitor the area closely to make sure it does not get worse. In most cases, if you have a severe reaction, it will start immediately. If the area is swollen, use an ice pack to help reduce swelling. You can also purchase an over-the-counter steroid cream if the area is itching badly. If you feel pain, take a pain medication like ibuprofen.
If the area of the stinger does not heal, you should visit your doctor. The doctor can also give you much more information about this, so you will be sure you are treating this correctly.